On February 10, a convoy carrying supplies and equipment for the US-led coalition came under attack near the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
“An explosive device targeted a logistic supply convoy of the international coalition on the Yusufiya road south of the capital, Baghdad,” an Iraqi security source told the UAE-based al-Ain TV.
According to al-Ain’s source, the explosion in Yusufiya damaged one of the convoy’s trucks. Nevertheless, no human losses were reported.
The Sabereen News, a Telegram channel close to Shiite armed groups in Iraq, said Saryat Qasim al-Jabbarin claimed responsibility for the Yusufiya attack. The group is one of many newly-established formations which attack US forces in Iraq in support of Iran.
The attack highlights the tense situation in in Iraq, which is currently facing several challenges including the growing threat of ISIS in the northern and western regions.
- On February 9, ISIS took responsibility for a shooting attack targeting Iraqi Army forces in south Fallujah.
- On February 9, Iraqi government reportedly hanged five people convicted on terrorism charges in Naseriyah, according to security sources.
- On February 9, Iranian head of Judiciary Ebrahim Raisi met with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi in Baghdad.
Today’s attack was the 21st against US-led coalition supplies convoys in Iraq in the last seven weeks. The coalition is yet to address these attacks.
These attacks are a part of a military campaign launched by Iran allies in Iraq in response to the assassination of Iran’s Quds Force Commander, Maj. Gen. Qassim Soleimani, and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, Deputy-Commander of the Popular Mobilization Units, more than a year ago.
The campaign is meant to expel US forces from Iraq. So far, the US-led coalition has withdrawn from several bases and camps in the country.
© 2007-2020, All Rights Reserved Ukraine|Algeria|Egypt|Libya|Morocco|News|W