The Saudi-led coalition announced on December 18 that its naval forces had destroyed a naval mine that was laid by the Yemeni Houthis, officially known as Ansar Allah.
In a statement, Col. Turki Al-Malki, a spokesman for the coalition, said the mine was laid by the Houthis’ naval units in the southern part of the Red Sea. The spokesman claimed that the mine was of the Iranian “Sadaf” type.
“The Iranian-backed Houthis hostile acts are threatening the security of Bab al-Mandab Strait,” the spokesman said.
The spokesman went on to reveal that the Saudi-led coalition has removed 171 naval mines laid by the Houthis since the outbreak of the Yemeni war in 2015.
Earlier this week, the Houthis targeted the BW Rhine tanker off the Saudi port city of Jeddah. The Singapore-flagged tanker was reportedly hit with a remotely-controlled water-born improvised explosive device (WBIED).
A new satellite image shows damage at the western side of the tankers, which burst into flame for hours as a result of the WBIED attack.
Satellite Imagery from December 15th morning (7 hours post-incident) assesses that the damage caused to the BW Rhine Oil Tanker in #Jeddah #Saudi Arabia is minor. AIS data courtesy of @MarineTraffic shows that the BW Rhine is now underway to Fujairah #UAE. #IMINT #OOTT pic.twitter.com/L9crStnFQt
— Observer IL (@Obs_IL) December 17, 2020
The Houthis are successfully challenging the Saudi-led coalition naval operations in the Red Sea and disturbing Saudi oil exports. This is mounting more pressure on the Kingdom, which failed to achieve any of its objectives five years into the conflict in Yemen.
MOER ON THIS TOPIC:
© 2007-2020, All Rights Reserved Ukraine|Algeria|Egypt|Libya|Morocco|News|W